By: Sabrina Virdee (courtesy of Inside Fitness)
I love the nutrition smoothies provide, and knowing that over the next little while we are all going to be guilty of at least a little over indulging, this smoothie is going to keep you feeling warm; all while providing you with an extra little detox in the process.
When battling the colder temperatures, you may find that your digestion slows down a bit, especially when consuming cold foods and beverages. By adding a few “warming” elements to your smoothie you can still enjoy a massive protein and nutrient punch, all while ensuring you are aiding the digestion and detox processes.
Ginger, Turmeric and Cinnamon are the stars here. They are going to warm you from the inside out, and help with detoxifying. Using a bit less banana and adding carrot will give you the sweetness you need and help ensure you get more fibre into your diet. Let’s face it, we’ve all had an extra serving of everything lately so the extra fibre will make sure you are moving things along. Moreover, the leafy greens are also a great source of fibre and they’ll also add a great colour to the smoothie. This smoothie will make the perfect light breakfast, post workout shake or even a great afternoon pick-me-up!
- 1/4 cup sliced zucchini or frozen cauliflower
- 1 handful of spinach or kale
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 small carrot
- 1 vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup oat milk (or nut milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth, adding more dairy-free milk (or water) as needed.
- Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more spices and ginger for warmth and banana for sweetness.
- Pour into glass of choice and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information Per Serving